Call 706-278-1313

Request Service

Outage Map

Pay Bill

Electric and Natural GAs Safety 

Committed to Electric and

Natural GAs Safety 

Dalton Utilities always strives to ensure safety measures are in place and adhered to at all times. This is even more crucial when working in areas with higher risk levels, such as electricity and natural gas. Both electricity and natural gas are powerful energy sources that, if mishandled, can lead to severe accidents, injuries, or even fatalities. Prioritizing safety measures and educating the community about those measures is very important to us as we deliver essential services to our customers.

Learn More About Us


Electric and Natural gas Safety Information

Have specific questions? Need assistance?

Electric Safety Tips 

Here are ways you can Be safe with electricity indoor ?

Electricity always seeks the easiest path to the ground. It tries to find a conductor, such as metal, wet wood, water or your body, which is 70% water. If you touch an energized bare wire or a faulty appliance while you are grounded, electricity will instantly pass through you to the ground, causing a harmful or fatal shock. Never touch someone who is being shocked. Turn off the power, if you can. Electricity brings many advantages to our lives, but we should never forget that it can also be dangerous. Make your family aware of electrical safety and how to avoid shock hazards.

Did you know?

Each year, electricity-related incidents in the home cause approximately:

  • 300 electrocutions
  • 12,000 shock and burn injuries
  • 150, 000 fires

How much is too much current? The amount of electricity used by one 7.5-watt Christmas tree bulb (60 milliamps) can kill you if it passes through your chest.

Conductors of electricity include: metal, water, and things that are wet, trees and people

Nonconductors of electricity include: glass, plastic, rubber, porcelain, and clean, dry wood

Do you know what to do in case of these emergencies?

  • Electrical Shock – Never touch a person being shocked. Turn off the power, if possible.
  • Electrical Fire – Turn off the power, if possible. Never throw water on an electrical fire! Use a multipurpose fire extinguisher or one that is rated for electrical fires.
  • Appliance Safety – Keep electric appliances, especially hair dryers, away from bathtubs, puddles of standing water, sinks and wet hands. Wet skin increases the risk of shock, so unplug an appliance before cleaning it. Never put metal objects in live parts of appliances or in outlets. If an appliance overheats, unplug it and have it checked. Don’t overload outlets. Pull by the plug, not by the cord, when unplugging an appliance. Use only appliances approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories.
  • Your Service Panel – Your service panel contains fuses or circuit breakers that interrupt power to specific circuits in case of a short circuit or overload. If this happens:
    • Unplug your appliances.
    • Switch off power at the main switch.
    • Try to determine the cause of the problem and correct it if possible.
    • Replace the bad fuse (look for a broken metal strip) with a new fuse of the same rating.
    • Never use anything other than a fuse to replace a fuse, because it could cause a fire.
    • If you have circuit breakers rather than fuses, switch the one that is “Off” to the “On” position and restore power.
      NOTE: If blown fuses or tripped circuits breakers occur often, contact a qualified repairman.
  • Indoor Grounding – The Third Wire. When you use a plug with three prongs, the third prong connects inside the outlet with a ground wire that usually connects to a water pipe or a ground rod at the service panel. In the case of a short circuit, electricity will flow through the grounding system instead of through you. Never remove the third prong.
  • Use Indoor GFCIs for Extra Protection! Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) are found in some outlets and service panels. They monitor the flow of current to and from appliances. If there’s an imbalance in the flow, the GFCI will quickly cut power to prevent serious injury. Use GFCIs in bathrooms, garages, near kitchen sinks and outdoors.

    Electrical Safety for Children

    Children’s natural curiosity can lead them into serious electrical accidents. Teach children never to put fingers or objects into an electrical outlet, toaster or any other appliance, even if it is off. Keep appliances and cords away from children, bathtubs and sinks. Use plug covers for outlets.

    Teach children to recognize “Danger – High Voltage” signs and to stay away from power lines, substations and pad-mounted transformers. Never let children climb trees near power lines.

    Here are ways you can be safe with electricity outdoors.

    Play it safe outdoors – Make sure tools and appliances are approved for outdoor use. Outdoor tools are made with heavier wiring and special insulation, as well as three-way grounded plugs. Protect outdoor electrical outlets with weatherproof covers and Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) to protect against shock. Never climb a utility pole or tree if a toy gets caught in power lines. Call the utility. Never play near or on power equipment. Always call your utility before digging. Power lines (as well as natural gas, water and sewer lines) can be buried underground.

    Outdoor toys – Electricity can travel down the strings of kites or balloons that contact power lines and cause shock or fire. Have children use these toys in open areas, away from overhead lines. Keep metallic balloons indoors, as they are highly conductive. Tell children that if a toy gets into power lines or a substation, they should tell an adult to call the power company and should NEVER try to retrieve it themselves.

    Do you know what to do in case of these emergencies?

    • Downed Wire – Stay away from the wire. Don’t touch anything or anyone that is touching it. If the wire is touching a vehicle that you are inside of, wait for help. If you must get out, jump clear. Don’t touch the ground and the vehicle at the same time. Do NOT run; make small shuffles to move away from the vehicle.
    • Electrical Storms – Get inside. If you can’t get inside, go to low ground and crouch down. Don’t use electrical appliances or the telephone. Stay out of the shower or bathtub. Avoid trees and other tall or metal objects. Stay out of water.

    How to stay Safe Around Electricity:

    • Never fly a kite on a cloudy day when a thunderstorm may be approaching. Remember to fly kites, model airplanes, and drones in a large open area like a park or a field. Stay far away from power lines. If an object is stuck in tree near power lines, DO NOT climb up to get it. Contact Dalton Utilities instead at 706-278-1313.
    • Never go into an electric substation for any reason. Electric substations contain high-voltage equipment, which can kill you. Never rescue a pet or retrieve a ball or toy that goes inside. Contact Dalton Utilities instead at 706-278-1313.
    • Remember to recognize Danger-High Voltage signs and point out overhead power lines. 
    • Never climb trees near power lines. Even if the power lines are not touching the tree, they could touch when more weight is added to the branch. 
    • Let your child know that water and electricity are a dangerous combination and should never be used near each other. 
    • Dalton Utilities’ electric distribution system includes pad-mounted transformers. When left alone, these  metal enclosures are harmless, but children who play on or around them may accidentally break open the locks and doors, exposing themselves and others to danger. Also, never dig near transformer boxes. All transformers should have a warning label. If you ever find a transformer box that is unlocked or open, call Dalton Utilities at 706-278-1313.


    Natural GAs Safety Tips

    Here are ways you can be safe with Natural Gas

    Natural gas is a valuable source of energy in our homes. As with all forms of energy, safety is important. Here are suggestions for keeping your family safe.

    1. Teach small children to stay away from gas ranges and all gas-burning appliances.
    2. Keep fire extinguishers readily available, and teach your family how to use them.
    3. Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
    4. Although natural gas has no odor, a chemical is added to give it a “rotten egg” smell so it can be easily detected. Familiarize your family members with this smell and teach them it’s a sign of danger.

    If you detect a strong “rotten egg” odor of gas:

    Do Not:
    • Do not light matches.
    Do not turn lights (or any other electrical appliance) on or off.
    Do not use the telephone, intercom or alarm system.
    Do not carry a cordless phone outside and use it. The base is still in the house/business and can ignite an explosion if there is a leak.
    Do not re-enter your home or business until a Dalton Utilities gas technician has told you it is safe.

     Do notify everyone to leave the building, if possible. Do not use telephones, intercoms or alarm bells.
     Do call Dalton Utilities at (706) 278-1313 from a telephone at a different location.

     Dalton Utilities – 706-278-1313 or Toll-Free (888) 337-1313
     Fire Department, Police and/or Sheriff – 911

     National Pipeline Management System
     Georgia Utilities Protection Center – 800-282-7411
     American Gas Association

    If you have additional questions on natural gas safety, please call the Dalton Utilities Customer Service Department at (706) 278-1313.

      Have questions? For more information, contact us at 706-278-1313.